Yesterday we just lazed around the flat really……well we did clean it from top to bottom and replenish our cupboards with a trip to Tesco first! After all that we watched Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen in the afternoon. I’ve only seen this once in the cinema and had forgotten how long it was! But it was a great way to pass an afternoon.
In the afternoon I also cooked a Lemon Drizzle Cake. My bf saw a recipe for this in one of the Sunday papers that his mum had and really wanted one, so being the great girlfriend I am I made him one (Plus it gave me an opportunity to strike another recipe off my ever expanding list of things to make!) The recipe and method is below.
After our dinner, of leftover pizza (thats 3 days in a row that we’ve had it!) we had a bit of the newest Ben & Jerry’s flavour – Fairly Nuts.
This is caramel ice cream with praline almond clusters and caramel swirls and it is DELICIOUS! I love anything with nuts and this is no exception. The ice cream is peppered with little toffee/nut pieces and if you’re luck, as I was, you often get a big clump of nuts all stuck together with gooey caramel! I had 2 scoops of this with a cream wafer and can’t wait to have more……soon!
Finally, I have some exciting news – I entered myself into the ballot for the London Marathon!! My best friend from home asked me last week if I wanted to do it with her and stupidly I said yes! I’m quite excited actually and hope that I do get in. I know I will DIE if I do it but it will cross something off my Life List and it will be such a big achievement. I’ve printed off the training plan that is suggested by them and may start on that quite soon. If I do get in, finding the time to train will be difficult but I’ll have to do it! We don’t find out until early October time so I’ve just got to wait now. I bet I’ll forget all about it by then!
I hope you all had a great weekend and before I go, here is the recipe for the Lemon Drizzle Cake. I got this from a little free booklet I got with the Nov 09 issue of BBC Good Food magazine. It has loads of great recipes in that are classics to cook and some are by celebrity chefs. This one is by Tana Ramsay (the wife of Gordon).
Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C / Gas Mark 4. Line a 1kg loaf tin with baking paper.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in the flour and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and level the top.
- Bake for 45 – 50 mins / until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- juice of 1 + 1/2 lemons
- 85g caster sugar
- While the cake cools, mix together the lemon juice and sugar to make the drizzle.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove. Enjoy!
This is such a great recipe. It has a double-whammy of lemoness due to the zest in the cake and the juice in the drizzle. It has a pound cake texture but isn’t too heavy. Please make it as it will conjure up a summers day. This was especially needed today in the UK as it was grey and cold….boooo!