This is one of my most FAVOURITE meals ever! If I could eat it each week I would! I think I love it even more than my bf does. I remember that I always asked for it at uni and he was never that enthusiastic. Maybe because I did actually ask for each week!!!
When I first learnt to cook, courtesy of my bf, this was one of the meals that I loved making as it’s so easy. Just add onion, mince, tomatoes and beans and you have it. And I love it even more now as it’s so quick to make when I come home from work. I can come in at 6pm and be eating within 45 mins. The only thing I don’t like about it is the fact I have to make rice. This is something that I’ve never mastered and have had many disasters over the years. In fact ths evening I got my bf to check that I had put enough rice in the pot and then enough water! I’m such a baby!
I really recommend this as a great weekday meal. The recipe below will feed a family of 4 or you can have half, then freeze half. It has all the good protein from the mince and beans and carbs from the rice – well balanced meal. You can even up the bean content if you want to make it even nicer!
Chilli Con Carne (Serves 4)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red onions, chopped into chunks
- 500g beef mince
- chilli flakes
- 400g can copped tomatoes
- Can of kidney beans
- Can of any other sort of beans – pinto, flageolet, haricot, black eyed
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a pot and fry off the two types of onions and garlic for 5 mins.
- Add in the mince and cook until it had browned.
- Add in some chilli flakes – as much as you want!
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and the two types of beans and cook for another 5 mins.
- Stir in the tomato puree, then leave to simmer for 20 mins.
- Serve with long grain rice, tortilla wraps and sour cream. Enjoy!