Today has been such a beautiful day here in the UK. Bright glorious sunshine from dawn. I’ve been walking around in a t-shirt and jeans all day. I love the summer so much…..well it’s technically still spring but it seems like it is summer due to the blazing hot sunshine!
The day started off well as we went round to my bf’s parents to watch football – Man Utd vs Man City, the Manchester Derby. It was quite tense as it was 0 – 0 for the whole match and then, in the last minute of extra time (92:43) Man Utd scored! Everyone at my bfs house went mental!! They are diehard Man Utd supporters. I’m so glad they won as I had a happy bf for the rest of the day!
Then after that we went to Forty Hall (This is about a 5 min walk from where we live) to take a load of pictures and enjoy the sunshine. We walked around enjoying the warm weather and taking a lot of photos. My bf is quite into photography and wants to do it as a future career. He has a much better camera than my little point-and-shoot one so was off taking loads of great pictures. I did a bit of snapping too, here are some of my favourites from today:
For dinner this evening I cooked one of our favourite dishes – Butternut Squash Risotto. I think I got this recipe from the BBC Good Food website but I have heavily adapted it and it was ages ago I can’t remember!! It is so creamy due to the stock and Parmesan and I love the colours of the butternut squash, peas and bacon. Of course you can leave the bacon out if you want to make it completely vegetarian but I loooove the bacon in it! When I originally made this I used spinach. This is a great addition to it instead of the peas but I found that I never got through a 200g bag on spinach. it used to sit in my frisge for days…maybe I need to try the Green Monster craze that’s hit the blog world! This recipe serves 2 – 3 people and would be great as a main meal for a dinner party. It’s quite easy to make, the only labourious task it stirring in the stock a ladle at a time. It takes patience but it’s so worth it for the creamy outcome.
Butternut Squash Risotto (Serves 2 – 3)
- 1 butternut squash (about 450g), peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 200g Arborio rice
- 750ml – 8ooml chicken stock
- 75g Parmesan
- 75g frozen peas
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6. Toss the diced butternut squash with a tbsp oil and a little salt and pepper in a roasting tin. Roast for 30 -40 mins.
- Cook the onions and bacon in a tbsp oil in a large pan for 5 mins, until the bacon has cooked though.
- Add in the rice and stir to coat.
- Add in the chicken stock a ladle at a time, stirring until all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Repeat this until the rice has cooked through but is still al dente.
- When the rice has cooked, add in the Parmesan and stir it in – the risotto will become more creamy.
- Finally, add in the roasted butternut squash and peas, stirring to combine.
- Serve with a little more Parmesan sprinkled over the top. Enjoy!
[PS. Do you like the shift in focus on here to more about my life?? I don’t want to bore anyone with it but I feel as if my life often dictates what I cook and bake…..let me know!]